Friday, January 07, 2005

Random Notes & Tinsel Down

Well, it's over folks. Christmas, New Year's, the holiday ski vacation, the visit from my son and daughter-in-law . . . it all seems like it was months ago. The Christmas cookies are still around, though. In fact, I'm carrying them wherever I go, if you get my drift. This weekend, I'll be taking down the tree and packing away the holiday paraphernalia for next year, clearing off my desk at home and making a clean sweep of 2004 detritus. Here then, is my last chance to express some random rants and observations that were sidelined by the holiday season.
  • After writing large parts of the new Medicare law, (a law that forbids price controls and regulation of prescription drug prices) Rep. Billy Tauzin announced that he will become president of the pharmaceutical industry's trade organization. Drug makers insisted the job was not a reward for Mr. Tauzin's work on the Medicare bill. Bite Me! scum-bags.
  • He's not gone yet, people . . . Tommy Thompson, Secretary of Health and Human Services, announced in early December that the government will dip into a $220 million grant program intended to help provide routine vaccinations to children who are not poor enough to be eligible under state Medicaid programs, in order to finance experimental flu vaccines for adults. Yessirree, this guy is real CEO material for some lucky "really big company" that he's expressed an interest in running. Watch this guy when he enters the private sector. You are going to want to dump your stock if he comes anywhere near one of your investments.
  • And how about that Colin Powell? Am I the only one who found his statements that U.S. tsunami relief money will prove to muslims that the US is a friend of Islam more than a little offensive? The entire history of our government's response to this disaster is shameful; "W" waiting three days before making a public statement, being (rightfully) accused of stinginess by the U.N., and then the additional aid coming with a political agenda attached to it. Is there no one with a heart at this level of our national leadership? OK, someone hit me for asking such a stupid question.
  • If you're still reading, send me a sign, a comment, anything! I'm feeling lonely out here in cyberspace.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, it is so hard for me to even read about their lies. Yet I am trying to write about it!

Anyway, hello from Seattle!

-Daphne
www.livejournal.com/~crankyknits (brand new blog)

1/07/2005 12:27:00 PM  
Blogger threadingwater said...

Hi, Daphne. Thanks for sending a comment and good luck with your new blog.

1/07/2005 01:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone spanked me on my blog for calling the Bushies cheap. And being a girl, I thought, OK, maybe I'm wrong. We really are the most munificent nation in the world, except for Japan. And Germany. Funny, ain't it?

Leslie
Blushing nakeidly

1/07/2005 01:30:00 PM  
Blogger threadingwater said...

Yeah, funny. My favorite part was Bush acting like the increased aid was a personal gift from his administration and somehow trying to make a distinction between government aid dollars and personal donations from the citizenry. Dear "W" : Listen up, canker sore, where do you think the government's money comes from?

1/07/2005 02:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally disagree. Sure we all hear $350 million and it doesn't sound like a lot compared to other countries. But let's not forget the private aid groups from our country. And how many of our Naval ships and military personnel are in that region now helping the effort? Last I read there were over 20 ships in the region specifically for the Tsunami cause. The $350 million does not include the military help and private relief aid. This will be an ongoing effort. I wonder how many who have read your post have contributed to the cause?

1/17/2005 08:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home