Thursday, April 28, 2005

My Mistake

The recent reader reaction that resulted in yesterday's blog entry was not, as I reported, entered as a response to my Earth Day posting. It was a response to my musings about the ironic nature of those "Support Our Troops" magnetic ribbons being affixed to our gas guzzling automobiles. Re-examining the argument in this new light is making my head hurt. I mean, this reader would appear to accept as truth that our reason for invading Iraq was to secure (read, gain access to) the country's vast oil resources. Soooo . . . let's just set aside all pretense of invading because Saddam Hussein was connected to the 9-11 attacks, or that he was harboring WMD's, i.e., the collected lies of the Bush administration, and agree to agree that our reason for being in Iraq is oil. Does anyone believe that the American people would have found this an acceptable reason for going to war? For taking pre-emptive military action? The American people are being kept in a suspended state of unreality in order to make the mounting loss of life in Iraq palatable. Meanwhile, we get to keep consuming natural resources like there's no tomorrow. I have an idea. How about this for a car magnet? "(fill in name of dead soldier) died so I could drive this (car, pickup truck, Hummer, SUV)" The current US military death toll stands at 1,573.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crap, that does change the whole thing in a head-hurting way.

I have not noted previously that I abhore the magnets. I am tempted to remove them from vehicles as I bicycle by. (My own car has a static-cling "I Support KCTS" sticky in the rear window.)

4/28/2005 04:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Books detail abuses at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo. The media reports the mendacious doings of our government. But nothing changes. What's it going to take?

5/03/2005 12:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home